Looking for a vegan breakfast burrito recipe? Look no further. This tofu scramble, smoked tempeh bacon, vegan cheese, and potato burrito is the answer to your Saturday morning cravings!
Mexican food for breakfast? Absolutely! Growing up in Texas meant Mexican food was everywhere. There’s nothing better than waking up to savory, spicy, flavorful cheesy bacon, egg, and potato breakfast burritos. Well, actually this cruelty free vegan version is better. Not only is your stomach happy, but no animals were harmed in the making!
This recipe takes my basic tofu scramble and elevates it to the next level. Crispy smoked tempeh bacon, gooey vegan cheese, savory fried potatoes, green onions, tomatoes, oh my!
Wrap it all up in a flour tortilla and dunk it in fresh salsa or spicy hot sauce and your weekend is off to a great start!
Additionally, the recipe makes enough tofu scramble for leftovers and, trust me, it’s is excellent the next day. You can even wrap the burritos in foil and keep them in the refrigerator for a quick breakfast. They heat exceptionally well in the oven, or in a hot pan on the stove top.
If you’re craving something sweet, I’ve got you covered too. My fluffy vegan pancakes are to die for!
Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito Recipe – Texas Style with Bacon, Egg, Potato, and Vegan Cheese!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito - Texas Style with Bacon, Egg, Potato, and Cheese!
- 14 oz Extra Firm Tofu, crumbled
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, small dice
- 3 Garlic Cloves, small dice
- 1/2 Bell Pepper, small dice Yellow, Orange, or Red
- 2 Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 5-6 Cherry Tomatoes, halved and quartered or 1/2 small tomato
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- .5 tsp Black Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 Cups (300 ml) Water
- 1 Cup Grated or Sliced Vegan Cheese
- 1 Small Potato, peeled, small diced, and parboiled
- 1 block Smoked Tempeh, thinly sliced
- 6-8 Large Flour Tortillas
- Hot Sauce or Salsa
- Fresh Sliced Avocado
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil to a hot pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt to the pan. Stir, cover, and cook over medium low heat until the onions start to become translucent. If the garlic starts to brown, lower the heat.
- Add the bell peppers, stir, and cover. Cook until the bell peppers are soft.
- Add the turmeric powder, stir, and let cook for about 30 seconds to release the flavor and toast slightly.
- Add 1/3 of the water, and mix scraping all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add crumbled tofu along with the rest of the dry ingredients (nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and black salt). Mix and add the remaining water.
- Add the tomatoes and half of the green onions. Mix and let cook on medium low heat for about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. This should take about 10 minutes.Be sure to stir the mixture while it is cooking every few minutes to prevent burning.
- Remove from the heat and reserve for later.
Bacon & Crispy Potatoes
- To make the tempeh bacon, add about a tablespoon of olive oil to a hot pan. Fry the tempeh slices on each side for 1-2 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan and reserve for later.
- For the Crispy Potatoes add half a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan you cooked the tempeh in.
- Add most of the remaining green onions, reserving some for the burrito filling. Add the parboiled potatoes to the pan and season with salt.
- Cook on medium high heat until the potatoes are crispy and brown. Stir frequently to prevent burning and to evenly brown the potatoes.
Fill the Burritos
- Place one large flour tortilla on a cutting board, or plate. Add a small handful of vegan cheese, 4 slices of bacon, 3-4 tablespoons of the tofu scramble mixture, and a tablespoon of the potatoes in the center of the tortilla. You can also add some fresh green onions if you wish.Be sure not to over stuff the tortilla as it will burst later if it's too full.
- Fold two sides of the tortilla over the mixture, then fold the top side down and roll the burrito closed.
- The burrito can be enjoyed as is, or grilled on each side on a grill pan or skillet. This ensures the cheese is melted and gives the shell a crunchy texture.
- Enjoy these burritos with optional avocado on the side, and fresh salsa or your favorite hot sauce.