Looking for the absolute best vegan banana bread recipe? How about vegan banana bread with apples and walnuts? Never tried it? Well, let me tell you, it’s delicious. It’s also perfect for breakfast with coffee or in the afternoon with tea!
Banana bread is huge in the South where I grew up. Seemingly every restaurant, cafe, or dessert shop in Texas and Louisiana has it on their menu. But the best banana bread was always the homemade stuff.
When I went vegan, this was one of the first recipes I veganized. And, to be honest, it was pretty easy. I think I got it right on the first try. I’m not bragging, but I think banana bread is just super simple to make. If you can measure and mix, then you can make it.
My vegan banana bread recipe takes things to the next level. The addition of apples and walnuts gives it extra oomph! The subtle banana flavor is complemented with the super sweet apples, and earthy flavor from the walnuts. These two ingredients also add some nice texture to this uber soft, fluffy, and moist banana bread. Melt a bit of vegan butter on top, and you will be in heaven.
Apples, Walnuts & More!
This vegan banana bread is delicious even without apples and walnuts. It’s also super easy to customize.
If you’re craving blueberries, add those instead. If you have pecans in the cupboard use those. Fancy chocolate chips? Throw them in! After all, what better combination is there than banana and chocolate? Oh…maybe vegan nutella and banana? Yup, I’ve added that too, and it’s superb. The combinations are pretty much endless.
Best Vegan Banana Bread Recipe Video
If you’re not a baker and the idea of making this vegan banana bread recipe scares you, don’t worry! I made a handy little video to show you step by step how to make it! Here are the steps outlined in the video and in more detail in the recipe below.
- Make a flax egg.
- Make vegan buttermilk.
- Top the bananas with the sugar and mash, mash, mash!
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the apples and walnuts and stir.
- Add the batter to a lined, oiled, and floured baking pan.
- Decorate with a sliced banana, walnuts, or apples.
Congratulations, you have successfully made and devoured the best vegan banana bread recipe out there!
Vegan Banana Apple Bread Recipe
This bread is delicious straight out of the oven and slathered with vegan butter. It’s also excellent the next day for breakfast…if it lasts that long.
You won’t need any fancy equipment, expensive ingredients, or special skills to make this vegan banana bread. The recipe is down to earth and pretty much everyone can make it.
Just follow the recipe below, and you’ll have delicious vegan apple banana bread in just over an hour!
Vegan Apple Banana Bread Recipe
- Loaf Pan
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Rubber Spatula
- 1/2 Cup Almond or Soy Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Flaxmeal
- 2 Tablespoons Warm Water
- 1/3 Cup Vegan Sugar white or coconut
- 2 Large Ripe Bananas
- 1 3/4 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour Extra for dusting the loaf pan.
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Canola, Coconut Oil, or Rapeseed Oil Extra for greasing the loaf pan.
- 1 Granny Smith Apple peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C)
- Mix flaxmeal and warm water to create a flax egg. Let it sit until the mixture has gelled - 2-5 minutes.
- Mix apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) and milk. Let mixture sit for about 5 minutes until it's curdled.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add bananas and sugar to a small bowl and mash to a paste.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and combine. Fold in apples and walnuts until combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour mixture into a greased, nonstick loaf pan and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.